Jennifer "Jennie" Waltrip served for 17 years as a bright light in the special education field for Frederick (Maryland) County Public Schools and was a Family Trainer for the Maryland Autism Waiver Program. Jennifer Waltrip was born on July 20, 1969 and passed away from a brain aneurysm on January 20, 2016, at the age of 46. Jennifer is survived by her husband Bryan Christopher Waltrip and 9 year old twin children: Finn Larson and Isabel Bear. Her obituary is listed at Legacy.com. Jennifer Waltrip will be placed on the Autism Light Memorial Roll today.
Education: Jennifer Waltrip received the following education.
- BA, Education, Hood College (1992)
- Masters in Education (Special Education Emphasis), John Hopkins University
Teaching Career: Jennifer Waltrip's teaching career included the following.
- Frederick County Public Schools, Teacher Specialist, Secondary Specialized Programs
- Caroll Manor Elementary, Challenges Program
- Ivymount School
In addition, she served as a Family Trainer for the Maryland Autism Waiver. The Maryland Autism Waiver is a program of the Maryland State Department of Education that provides intensive services both in home and school for eligible children with autism regardless of family income.
For more information on Jennifer Waltrip read these online articles.
- Obituary: Jennie Waltrip; Taught Kids With Autism (Voxitatis blog, January 31, 2016)
- Special Education Teacher Remembered for Passion and Abilities (Fredrick News Post, Mike Persley, January 30, 2016)
The autism community was blessed to have a dedicated special education teacher Jennifer Waltrip in Frederick, Maryland and her absence will be felt. It is hoped that her example will inspire others to enter a career in special education teaching.
Autism Light honors diverse heroes to the world of autism.